Yesterday, I attended a Science and Technology Awareness Raising and Information Campaign in India organized at Nagpur. They are visiting almost 22 cities in India including tier 2/3 cities for promoting European Union's (EU) research focus and support system.
Lot of interesting things were shared including a memory stick containing detailed information on the research funding and opportunities provided by member states especially for Indians.
Two important things that stood out:
- There are funding opportunities available for individual researchers and SMEs under the European Union's 7th Research Framework Program. Especially in Information and Communication Technologies (ICT), the research investment that has been made has been the maximum amounting to over 9 billion euros. The special support for funding research projects for SMEs is also an interesting endeavor to encourage application oriented research.
- There is a proper support system in the form of European Business and Technology Center (EBTC), which promotes innovative technologies and converts research into commercial ventures. Although their focus is on cleantech, however a lot of ICT get's involved here too. EBTC can help connect innovative, local businesses with European counterparts for collaborative programs.
The EU delegation campaign was an informative one, at Hotel Pride, Wardha road, Nagpur, with a delicious lunch that followed. However, only 20 odd people comprising of entrepreneurs, academicians and researchers attended the conference. The EU is opening up to India, but are we from emerging cities listening to the call?
You may also like to read
- Are you listening to the call of electronic payments market in India?
- Dr. Ramesh Jain: Businesses should be closer to their customer base
- All expenses paid trip to Israel for a Nagpur entrepreneur
- McKinsey cites Nagpur as one of the global cities of the future!
- Jaypar Inc. adds up to the list of software companies operating at MIHAN
- SMS Group, a Nagpur based 1000+ Crore corporate giant, ventures into IT Infrastructure
- Ebix @MIHAN - Need more software biggies to set up shop at Nagpur
- Rizwan Ahmed, delaPlex: Changing technology landscape is a big challenge
- Nagpur is one of the Top 10 Business Hot Spots of the country : Cushman & Wakefield
- The emerging growth catalyst
- Persistent-Infospectrum deal. Need more M&As to fuel Growth@Nagpur Software Industry
- Top 10 Software Companies at Nagpur by total revenue for FY 2009-2010
- TCS and Rajtaru Infotech get one year extension from BoA to start unit in MIHAN-SEZ
- Accenture recruits 200 students in a single day from a college at Nagpur
- Persistent Systems provides social media analytics for Satyamev Jayate
- Nagpur Software - Microsoft DreamSpark Yatra - we need more of such events.
- D&B's 2010 toppers ITeS-BPO:5 companies with presence in Nagpur
- Infosys negotiating hard with MADC for investment in MIHAN-SEZ
- Nagpur Calling Conference ends on a promising note
- VASE, Persistent to host Digvijay Diwas